[ale] car audio mp3 player (how to make disks)

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Sep 19 10:07:07 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 19 September 2006 02:38, Steven A. DuChene wrote:
> The sound unit in my car is a fairly recent unit that is
> supposed to not only be able to play regular CDs but
> is also supposed to be able to play MP3 audio disks.
> The problem is I have not been able to verify how to
> make these. Is it just a matter of writing a directory full
> of MP3 files to a CD as if I was just making a data disk
> or is there some special directory layout I need to follow?

The Audio CD / MP3 CD combo players that I have come
across have all used standard Data CD's WITH the Rockridge
extensions (to provide the default M$ file naming that most
of these players seem to require).

If you have a GUI CD burner package like K3B, making Rockridge
Data CD's is pretty self explanatory. To do it from the command
line you can use mkisofs (make ISO file system) and cdrecord:

Step 1: cp / mv your favorite MP3's to a directory, up to 700 meg
total. If you want, you can prefix the file names them so that they
will sort to play in a desired order.

Step 2: Find a temp directory to store a file that is equal to the size
of the contents of your collected MP3's. Save an ISO image of
the MP3 directory using mkisofs. -o specifies the output file and
-R turns on Rockridge extensions:
%     mkisofs  -o  tempdir/mp3cd.iso  -R  mp3dir/*.mp3

Step 3: Burn the ISO to a CD-R disk. The command line
will look something like this:

%   cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=2,0 tempdir/mp3cd.iso

...though your dev= specification will likely be different. Use

%   cdrecord -scanbus

...to determine the device location of you CD burner.

Rinse and repeat Step 3 as needed; rm the mp3cd.iso file when
done unless you want to tie up the hard drive space.

A  "man"  on mksiofs and cdrecord will provide details if you
have questions.

HTH!
peace
aaron