[ale] Window Managers for X

Richard Kolkovich sarumont at sigil.org
Mon Sep 18 00:35:59 EDT 2006

On 09/18/06 00:02, James Sumners published:
> Selective quoting is great; you can "prove" just about any point if
> you only quote statements that allude to your position.

And we see statisticians do that daily.  ;)

Here is some more (all of it that is pertinent to evas rendering
anything) of the quote from the previously quoted IRC conversation:

23:25 <@raster> everything is software rendered
23:25 <@raster> all pixels are caluclated with the cpu
23:25 <@raster> and pumped to the gfx card
23:25 <@raster> the default engine is software_x11
23:25 <@raster> (for evas)
23:26 <@raster> and e17 asks for that egnine by default
23:26 <@raster> the only other option is the xrender_x11 engine
23:26 <@raster> and that is only viable if it built with xrender support

> The library
> that handles all the eye candy in E17 is called Evas. Th following is
> full quote from the website:

- -- cut website quote --

> If you read what I wrote, I said it will run "best" on OpenGL
> hardware. I didn't say it wouldn't run well in "software mode." Nor
> did I ever say it will run dog slow.

I apologize for skipping over the "best" part.  It felt as if you were
insinuating that it would not run well without it, and I have run it
just fine with no OpenGL and lacking CPU (i.e. - 300MHz G3 clamshell)
with no noticeable effects.

> But the pixmaps (images) have to
> be stored somewhere. And for all the pretty eye candy to be there,
> some sort of images will be used.
> E16 doesn't use as many as E17,
> therefore, E17 uses more memory. It is a simple conclusion.

Not all eye candy comes from images.  Much eye candy comes from
procedures that perform some sort of effect on an object that is already
drawn.  Note:  I cannot speak for the code of any WM, as I have not
assisted in their writing.

I apologize if my post came off as an attack.  E16 and E17 are great
WMs.  I hate to see others knock what is good when they are seemingly
spewing hot air (as happens all too often in the Open Source community).

- --

Richard Kolkovich