[ale] Window Managers for X

Richard Kolkovich sarumont at sigil.org
Sun Sep 17 23:10:39 EDT 2006

On 09/15/06 12:38, James Sumners published:
> I didn't bring up memory usage for a reason ;)
>
> E is all about eye candy.

E is about having power, flexibility, and eye candy without being overly
"in your face" OR hogging resources.

> I believe the most recent releases of E16
> have been fixing up some of the memory issues, but I don't recall
> since I don't use it anymore.

I cannot speak here, as I have not used E16 in probably 2 years.  I have
been running E17 from CVS.

> E17 will be even more of a memory hog
> because of all the new pretty effects. It will also run best on OpenGL
> hardware.

Have you ever run E17?  I am guessing that you have not, as these
statements are 100% inaccurate.  On my G3 clamshell, I booted into X
running E17, ALSA and pbbuttonsd (power management) with less than 35MB
of RAM used (oh...running gkrellm2, as well, to display this handy
figure).  I had not turned down any of E17's "eye candy" features.  I
think this sufficiently dispels this false statement.

OpenGL hardware?  Here is a recent log from #e on freenode:

23:25 <@raster> everything is software rendered
23:25 <@raster> all pixels are caluclated with the cpu

OpenGL hardware, when I last checked, does not assist the CPU in
calculations.  It is only used when the OS's OpenGL implementation is
called, thereby using the GPU, rather than the CPU, to render.

I hope you will find this information enlightening (pun intended - har
har).  Ignorance is a dangerous thing.  Please avoid it in the future by
not speaking of things which you do not know.