[ale] Window Managers for X

Marvin, International Martian of Mystery marvin.higginbottom at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 17:25:44 EDT 2006

jallgood at the-allgoods.net wrote:
> Hey Ale
>
> 	We are using Neoware thin clients in our environment and connect
> back to an XDM servers. We currently use Metro Motif Window manager which is
> a commercial product. This company is no longer in business. I am looking
> for a replacement Window Manager that is light and easy to configure. I was
> thinking of OpenMotif but this desktop does not have a virtual desktop
> feature anymore. I have looked at fluxbox, fvwm, xfce and a few others. The
> Window Manager needs to support virtual desktops and transient windowing it
> also needs a gloral rc file to make it easier to manage. Any ideas would be
> appreciated.

If I were in your boots, I would seriously consider KDE for the
thin-clients.  I'll bet if you leave out the eyecandy, various pointless
panel applets, system sound servers, and whatnot in your install that
you'd have a memory/system resource footprint less than Enlightenment.

It has virtual desktops, configurable pop-up menus for 3 mouse buttons
(you can make them behave just like fvwm, if you want to), and just
about everything else you wanted.  Plus, you'd have konqueror and/or
krusader for a file manager- which are worlds faster to work with than
any of the other file managers out there (IMHO).

It's not *that much* heavier on system resources than XFCE or FVWM, even
with all the bells and whistles- or so it seems from my subjective
perspective of running several local and remote instances on one
workstation.  Your mileage may vary in your thin client/server
situation.  But I'll guarantee that even KDE is lighter-weight than E.
:-)