[ale] Any suggestions for cost effective computing.

Brian D. Pitts bpitts at LearnLink.Emory.Edu
Mon Sep 11 15:14:01 EDT 2006

Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org> on Monday, September 11, 2006 at 11:29
AM -0500 wrote:
>I'm in the process of setting up a machine for my mother-in-law. Normally
>I'd wait for a Fry's special and buy. But I was hunting around Pricewatch.com
>and noticed that several vendors sell MB/CPU/memory combos in the $100-$125
>ballpark.

Be wary of the ECS motherboards that many of these combos include; I've read
lots of reports of poor video and memory compatibility.

Below is the cheapest "combo" I could come up with in 5 minutes on Newegg.

Athlon 64 3000+ (Socket 939, Venice) $64
Asus A8N-VM (nForce 410 w/ onboard graphics) $63
Kingston ValueRAM (2 x 256MB DDR 400) $57

At $184 it's a bit pricier than what you've found for sale. It's also only $90
less than Dell's cheapest desktop.

-Brian