[ale] I need some help with iptables and cbq

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 18:10:00 EDT 2006

HTB doesn't do sharing. Each class will only use the amount of
bandwidth alloted to it. I want classes to give up bandwidth to other
classes when they have bandwidth to spare and the others need it. So,
I know HTB is "easier" but it doesn't fit the job.

I also know of wondershaper. Indeed, the wondershaper script is in the
same directory as those two scripts. But I have a problem with third
party tools/scripts -- I don't like them. I find them difficult to use
because they are not crafted for my exact situation or tastes.

After doing some more testing, I have come to the conclusion that I
need to add rules for eth2 (wireless). I really hadn't thought about
it until I was composing the email. Since I was already half done with
the email I decided to go ahead and get ALE's opinion.

I still don't know why the two lines that are supposed to classify
"other" traffic are not working. And I would still like suggestions on
trimming the ruleset (if possible).

For those curious, my work in these two scripts is based on my
readings of the following articles:
http://www.sigsegv.cx/qos.html
http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/chunkyhtml/index.html
http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO//packet-filtering-HOWTO.html