[ale] Unicode character entry in Edgy (Was: Re: Ubuntu Edgy? Anyone?)

fd0man™—The Magical Floppy Man fd0man at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 18:03:52 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 17:35 -0400, Alex LeDonne wrote:

> I think the reason for the change is simple - under the old way, it
> occupied 16 keyboard shortcuts, Ctrl-Shift-0 through Ctrl-Shift-F. I'm
> sure that, in particular, Ctrl-Shift-A through Ctrl-Shift-F conflicted
> with application and other shortcut keys. Plus, that's just plain
> hogging - 16 shortcuts taken up for a single feature. Under the new
> way, it's Ctrl-Shift-U, which is much easier to develop around, and
> frees up those other 16 shortcuts for other uses.

That makes sense; I suppose that it makes sense for a "trigger" key to
be set.  Something else that I just noticed about the new way that the
feature works in Edgy is that you do not have to hold Control+Shift down
while typing the number of the Unicode code point.  That is not a
horrible thing to have to do on a full size keyboard, but it sure does
make my fingers feel better on this laptop keyboard.  I could get used
to this.  :-)

    ? Mike

--
The fd0man??The Magical Floppy Man!