[ale] Unicode character entry in Edgy (Was: Re: Ubuntu Edgy? Anyone?)

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Fri Sep 8 12:48:50 EDT 2006

On Fri September 8 2006 12:24 pm, fd0man??The Magical Floppy Man wrote:
> For example, in Dapper, if you pressed Ctrl+Shift+2122 (and then
> released Ctrl+Shift), you would get the Trademark mark.
> ?Ctrl+Shift+3c0 (that is a zero) is the Greek small letter "pi" that
> is commonly used in mathematics. ?Ctrl+Shift+201C is open quote,
> 201D is close quote. ?In Edgy, if I attempt to type the Trademark
> mark, I get nothing. ?(Also, in Dapper, when you typed the unicode
> Code Point number, it would show up as you type it, usually with an
> underline to show that you were actually entering a Unicode
> character and not something directly into the application.)

are you talking as if you are typing in an email client compose
message, like evolution or Kmail?

doesn't it depend on the font you are using?
in my Kubuntu 6.06 in Kmail, when I type CTRL-SHFT-21 I get the "!"
exclamation point.

in Edgy, kmail does nothing when I type CTRL-SHFT-2122
Evolution also does nothing.

--
Paul C