[ale] Network issue at hotel

cfowler at outpostsentinel.com cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Sep 6 13:42:16 EDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 07:02:24PM -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> A couple of thoughts:
>
> MTU: Try setting your MTU to around 1150 and see if things improve.

Tried 1150 and even 500

> ICMP: Are you blocking incoming ICMP?  If so, try unblocking it so that
> Path MTU works better.  ICMP may also be used by the hotel's router to
> determine if the client is still active.

Blocking nothing and no filters are running.

I can ssh into our datacenter.  I can then log in.  I then issue 'ps -ef'.
The output will scroll and then hang forever.  No transmission will last very
long. Very strange. I'm still in vmware now and using putty to our DC to use
mutt to send and ceck emails.  I typically use Evolution.