[ale] when is a zip file not a zip file

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Tue Sep 5 22:23:28 EDT 2006

I'm stumped -- but then I often stump easily.

My son-in-law just sent me some pix of my new grandson -- born on
Saturday morning.  He told me he zipped them on a Winbloze box before
attaching them to an email.

The email has this attachment:  New Folder.rar

So I move it to a temp directory and from the command line type
"unzip Ne<tab> and get "unzip New\ Folder.rar"

Tap the Enter key and unzip barfs telling me that this:

"End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
  the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of New Folder.rar or
        New Folder.rar.zip, and cannot find New Folder.rar.ZIP, period."

So is this a defective zip file or do I need a different program to unpack
this thing?

I really would like to see these pix of my new grandson.

Sean