[ale] OT: Bad Linspire....tsk tsk

KingBahamut gwosbahamut at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 10:40:37 EDT 2006

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20060904#freespire

from the article

"Several readers have emailed us to let us know that Linspire has launched
what can only be classified as an attempt to tamper with our page hit
rankings by trying to artificially inflate the page hit ranking figures for
its new community distribution - Freespire Upon investigation, it turned out
that both linspire.com and nvu.com had been deceivingly redirecting visitors
to the Freespire page on DistroWatch and that the default home page of
Firefox in the latest build of Freespire had also been set to the same page.
As a result, Linspire has become the largest referer of DistroWatch.com this
month and the company has been responsible for a considerable number of
extra hits on the Freespire page at DistroWatch.

Although the redirections continued for several days, the Freespire page hit
counter was unaffected. As always, excessive and deliberately misleading
links to DistroWatch by distributions are considered illegal and a script
was promptly set up to prevent the counter from incrementing in cases where
the visitors were referred by linspire.com or nvu.com."

Sigh.....bad Linspire...bad......

--
KingBahamut
http://doc.gwos.org - Definitive Ubuntu Documentation