[ale] Registrar consensus?

A LeDonne aledonne.listmail at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 11:00:47 EDT 2006

On 9/4/06, David Corbin <dcorbin at machturtle.com> wrote:
> Is there a consensus on best "inexpensive" registrar? I'm not necessarily
> looking for the cheapest, but low-cost with a professional/reliable attitude.
>
> David

Consensus? Unlikely.

What features do you need? Different registrars offer different TLDs.
Some include privacy features. Some (think EU) are subject to
different laws.

In my experience, I rarely if ever can discern the registrar's
attitude, since I'm doing all my transactions online and don't recall
ever having an issue where I needed to contact the registrar.

In the past I have used Gandi.net, based in France. EU data
protection/transparency regulation. No technical issues. Started with
them back when $10/yr/domain was novel.

I use Register4Less today. Slightly more expensive, but privacy
features are included, and they support UserFriendly with advertising.

YMMV.

-A