[ale] Java -> Data Integrity ->SQL Servers

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Sep 3 17:35:55 EDT 2006

Mike Harrison wrote:
>>> While true, as a basic statement. There is nothing that I can find
>>> in Java the makes 'data integrity' better. In fact, I think it obscures
>>> data, makes it hard to work with, extremely hard to debug...
>>> way to much 'it's a magic black box object you feed other objects to and
>>> maybe what you want will come out of it'
>> Actually I was referring to the comparision of Postgresql and Mysql.
>

> I run both, PostgreSQL and MySQL. While PostgreSQL is definately a more
> robust database engine with more features.. MySQL is a wonderful tool for
> basic web based smaller database stuff, content, light math.. user/member
> data.. And for serious stuff with a budget, I'm one of the few that really
> like Sybase, and keep an install of 11.0.3 handy.. Oracle? Too intense for me.
>
> But I've never had a problem with "data integrity" with any of them.
> Not including the applications that were using them, of course.
> Oh boy.. have I made some glorious mistakes, and learned from them.
> And I've uncovered some in others code as well.

Let's see, unless things have changed.  Define a 32bit field in Mysql
plug a 64bit number in instead.  Most database engines will complain.
Mysql will simply fold it in and go on it's merry way.  That is lost
integrity.  That's just one example.  I did a lot of research when I got
involved with a Postgresql project.  Do a quick google for "data
integrity Postgresql mysql" and see what you find.  You should be
enlightened.

I would never rely on Mysql for 'serious stuff' regardless of the
budget.   I would never rely on it for any financial data either.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin