[ale] bacula

Brian Pitts sciurus at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 15:06:40 EDT 2006

Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts wrote:
> I've got a few bacula questions.....
>
> 1) is there a way to not store archive files on disk as one big (tape)
> archive?

Not really. You can play with retention and recycling settings so that
you have multiple smaller volumes instead of one big one, but it's still
the same principle.
> 2) how does bacula determine what needs to be archived on an incremental
> backup (on both Linux and Windows systems)?

Bacula compares the start time of the last job against the time a file
was last modified or had its attributes changed.
> 3) can bacula limit network traffic in similar fashion to rsync's
> --bwlimit parameter?

Not that I recall.

I spent a long time looking at Bacula when I thought a tape drive was in
my future. When that fell through, I decided to stick with an
rsync-based backup solution.

-Brian