[ale] uptime, cool--New topic, keeping power on

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Sun Sep 3 13:49:35 EDT 2006

Pretty cool.

I like to display uptime for my desktops occasionally.  My ti PB is
59 days right now and nagging me to do a software update.   My Ubuntu
desktop is over 100 days.

This brought to mind another thread idea.  I used to reboot the
windows machines I was forced to use at least once a day usually more
even if there was nothing wrong.  That plus a mixed feeling about the
old idea of power cycling equipment being bad has given me this
irrational desire to keep my personal machines up for as long as I can.

What do ya'll (a little southern lingo there) think about keeping
equipment up versus powering it off after use.  I have heard and made
all the reliability issues and personally think that the electronics
runs just as long either way.  ( I do hardware maintenance so I have
seen it all)

Since we Linux users don't have to clean up our OS's memory with
frequent reboots what is the case for keeping it up or powering it down?

Mark