[ale] Idle Sockets vs. Firewall question

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 10:46:35 EDT 2006

All,

I'm wondering if it is common for firewalls to close idle sockets after a
period of time?

=== Details
I have a Java application that has been in service for years (since 1999
IIRC), but on a private satellite based data network (vsat).

We're in the process of moving it to the Internet (which means random
firewalls at out client locations), and now we're getting complaints about
non-delivered messages/notifications.

The way we handle notification is to have the client open a socket to the
server and just leave it open (and idle) for hours at a time.  Then when a
message needs to be delivered the server simply sends it down the existing
socket.

Since this is basically the same code that has been in use for a while I
doubt that it is a basic client/server issue.  Seems much more likely it is
the network between the 2 which now is a much less controlled environment
than it was with dedicated satellite gear.

Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks
Greg
--