[ale] Oops - Want to rearrange two partitions

Randal Jarrett rsj at radio.org
Thu Oct 19 14:26:16 EDT 2006

What I like to do on my systems is to make 3 fixed primary partitions
for swap, boot and /.

I then make the 4th primary partition LVM from which I create my other
partitions just a little more than the minimum size needed
for /usr, /var, /opt, /tmp, /usr/local and /home.

By using LVM I get the flexibility to grow the partitions as needed.

Another major benefit is if I need additional space I can add another
drive to the volume group and use it to add additional space to the
existing LVM partitions.  This allows you to use some of the smaller
disk drives that are sitting around.  If necessary you can add another
disk controller such as a Promise card for even more drives.

LVM is very easy to work with both from the command line and most
distributions admin GUIs.

Randy

--
Randy Jarrett  K4RSJ