[ale] [Slightly OT] Emacs question.

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Wed Oct 18 17:02:40 EDT 2006

Most Linux commands are either clones of or derived from UNIX commands of the same name.   Since UNIX has been around for more than 30 years most of your favorites predate Linux.  I will say that for the most part the features in the Linux versions of commands are broader than those of their UNIX counterparts.  (Of course even the UNIX variants don't always have the same options for the same named commands.)