[ale] OT: Two for the EE and hobbyests

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Mon Oct 16 11:00:04 EDT 2006

I'd go with a simple microcomputer development system like the basic
stamp.  I'd front end it with a LM-380 and a cheap mike located next to
the howling rock for simplicity in hookup.  That way you'd have both the
sound and sight effects. Timing is a snap with the microcontroller.  A
cheap relay could be interfaced via a transistor to turn the smoke
on/off.  That option would be the simplest to implement, but more
expensive, I think the basic stamp dev kit can be had for around $100 or
less.

If you want a hardware solution.  I'd imagine the same input via the
LM-380 going to a comparator (op amp) to set an S/R flipflop which turns
on timer consisting of a 555 chip followed by the same transistor/relay
as in the first solution.  The interface between the op amp and the
flipflop could be routed through an AND gate (or NAND)  with the second
input as the output of a second 555 timer that gets triggered at the
same time as the first one, however it is set to time out after 30+45
seconds.  The idea being that this second timer would disable the AND
gate so no more intput from the rock would arrive to kick off the first
timer until 75 seconds elapses.    Long delays are sometimes hard to get
with 555 timer, so often a 4017 cmos counter is used to extend the
time.  For instance to get a 75 second delay from a 555 you'd need a one
meg resistor and a 750 microfarad capacitor.  750 microfarad caps are
hard to come by, so you'd have to go to a 1000.  Now you're getting into
an unstable range.  I'd probably opt for the 4017 at $0.39 from jameco
and more like a 250 microfarad and a 30k resistor to get a delay of 7.5
seconds.  Then if you divide by 10 you get your 75 seconds.  A 120 K and
250 microF cap will get your the 30 seconds.  Probably better to use a
variable resistor of some value over what you need and fine tune it for
better precision.

Get a breadboard from somewhere if you don't have one already.  Most of
these parts are probably available from Fry's but I'm sure Jameco and
other parts houses have them too.

Jim.