[ale] procmail reject

Todd Pike tpike at teepee-sw.com
Mon Oct 16 10:34:47 EDT 2006

> On Sun, 2006-10-15 at 14:42 -0400, David Corbin wrote:
>> anyone know how to have procmail simply reject certain mails?
>
> procmail can't _reject_ because the email has already been accepted by
> the MTA.  However, procmail can _dump_ the emails to /dev/null like
> this:
>
> :0
> * ^Subject:.*SPAM
> /dev/null
>
> :0:
> * ^From.*@blah.com
> /dev/null
>

> hth,
>
> -Jim P.

Another possibility is to use a mail bouncing utility to make it look like
a bounce.  I hardly advocate using something like this to "bounce"
suspected UCE/Spam since it is highly unlikely the real culprit will get
the bounce message or would even react by removing the address.

With that said I _do_ use the following tool to send unresponsive mail
list administrators bounce messages when they repeatedly neglect or refuse
to remove me from their lists.

You'll have to grab the source and compile it but I seem to recall it was
a simple configure+make type process.

Here's the home page for the tool
http://www.spots.ab.ca/~gary/mail-bounce/

And here's a sample procmail stanza to use it:
:0 ic
*^From.*deaf_list_owner at domain
| /home/jsmith/mail-bounce/mail-bounce

I use the "ic" option to the rule so I still get the messages making it
easier to notice when they finally remove me.

todd..