[ale] Sendmail: Files in /var/mail/mqueue Named Q*?

Keith Hopkins ALE ale at hopnet.net
Thu Oct 12 19:36:53 EDT 2006

Danny Cox wrote:
> 	I'm beyond my knowledge of sendmail here.  We had some files in mqueue
> named qf*.  Now, we're seeing Qf* instead.  I'm assuming that Sendmail
> renamed them, but I don't know why.  I'd Read The Fine Manual, but it's
> missing :-(.
>
> 	I did try Google, but I couldn't seem to form the query such that the
> results returned had any useful info.  Sigh.
>
> 	Much thanks in advance!

R'ingTFM (bat book, 2nd ed), I quote "23.3 A Bogus qf File (V8 only): Qf
For Security reasons, V8 sendmail performs a number of checks on each qf file
before trusting its contents.  If any qf file fails to be trustworthy, sendmail converts
the leading q in its name to an uppercase Q."

Reasons given: Badly formed qf filename; Bad qf Owner or Permission (must be owned by effective User ID under which sendmail runs); Extra data at the end of qf file; Unknown control char in qf file; Funny flag bits in qf file; Savemail Panic (cannot dispose of a bounced message).

--Keith