[ale] Cheap Linux Laptops for Developing Countries

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Thu Oct 12 11:39:09 EDT 2006

> for wi-fi is less than that needed for power grids but the lack of power
> grids suggests a poverty level that means education isn't likely a high
> budget priority.

As I understand it, there is juice/ac power in these places, especially
schools... but not a lot of outlets. Wind-Up brings a new portability
for taking them home or anywhere.

Me? I have 2 large solar panels, a deep cycle battery and inverter
for running laptops when remote. and when I'm remote, my 600mhz
Ubuntu machine needs far less juice than my 2.4ghz WinXP laptop.
yet web-surfing and normal use seems about the same speed.
and my Ubuntu machine has a complete Apache/MySQL/PHP system
running for doing development work without a net connection.

I spent a few weeks last year in a Cabin on a lake in Alaska...
got a -LOT- of code written, caught and ate a lot of fresh trout...

I'd like a small crankable wifi-able laptop for travelling
on my bicycle as well.