[ale] Win ODBC --> Linux postgreSQL

Bob Kruger bkruger at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 11 16:34:40 EDT 2006

Allan;

That's a good start.  The only systems that I have run Postgresql on
that needed ODBC connectivity were Slackware based, so I had to compile
Postgresql from the source.  Not a difficult thing to do, but if you
miss it, you are out of luck.  Unfortunately, the last system I did set
up with Postgresql is now 600 miles away and it was 18 months ago I did
the work, so I don't have it nearby to reference.

I believe the advice to go to http://postgresql.org and subscribe to
some of the user lists for Postgresql would be helpful, as those who are
current with the program can probably talk you through it.  Also, I
would try establishing ODBC connectivity without using SSH at first, and
then implementing afterwards.  I think it would greatly simplify the
trouble shooting process in determining whatever is amiss.

You might want to start here as a reference:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-odbc/

FWIW, Postgresql is a bit more difficult to set up that some of the
other SQL databases, but in the seven or eight years that I have used
it, always thought it to be robust and reliable.  When earlier versions
of MySQL were tanking on me and could not do subselects, Postgresql was
rock steady, if a little slower, and consistently ran in 24-7 operations
such as manufacturing with impressive robustness.  I think that once you
do have it set up, you will find the effort well worth your time.

V/r

Bob Kruger