[ale] Building the perfect Linux end-user systems.

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 13:28:31 EDT 2006

James Taylor wrote:

> I'm not a hard-core linux hacker, and I don't use windows in any
> form, so Linux is my sole productivity tool.  I have to have stuff
> that just works.

Same here.  I use Ubuntu for all of my school stuff; the only thing that
really can't fill the shoes I need filled is the office suite software -
but that isn't the fault of Ubuntu.  There simply isn't something that
fits what my school expects, other than Microsoft Word, Excel, and
PowerPoint.  OOo for the moment doesn't do certain types of OLE-embedded
stuff all that well, particularly when it was originally composed in MS
Word.

Unfortunately, there probably isn't any expectation that it will be
resolved any time soon, and I am prohibited from doing things like
charts and graphs in other software and including the image of it.  They
want Microsoft Graph Charts to be used, which has to be done using OLE.  :-/

> I almost never have to worry about dependency issues.  If I had to
> work at getting my platform to work rather than using my platform to
> work, then I would look elsewhere, but I haven't had to.  When I have
> tried other distros, I have never found one as easy to use and
> support.

Well, maybe SuSE has something better than what some of the other
distributions use.  I think that the distribution in question that I was
helping someone with was Red Hat based, both in that it used RPMs, and
that it used Red Hat's software.

In any case, RPM lost me in the 90s, and based on what recent things I
have seen, it still has many of the same failings.  I have not run into
any issues with the Debian packaging scheme.  With Ubuntu picking up
users like it is, and supporters (there are plenty of software pieces
that now offer Ubuntu-specific packages, like Democracy TV, which was
featured in this month's LJ), I am pretty well inclined to stick with
it.  :-)

The only thing that I don't use Ubuntu for, is a server.  I tried it,
and I wasn't really impressed.  For that matter, I don't really use
Linux at all for servers; I prefer FreeBSD -- it just makes server tasks
easier.

	-- Mike

Michael B. Trausch <fd0man at gmail.com> - Jabber: fd0man at livejournal.com

Demand freedom: Use open and free protocols, standards, and software.