[ale] Building the perfect Linux end-user systems.

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Sat Oct 7 12:01:25 EDT 2006

I would add that if you do want to  run windows-based games, TransGaming Software's Cedega product works very well on most of the popular games.

I'm not a gamer, but my son is, so he is my test-bed.

He's running a 64-bit Opteron, w/a 256MB NVidia FX card in it.

He's runing WoW at 1280x1024 full-screen, and a bunch of games hosted on Steam that are high speed, shooter games.
A number of games, like Doom III, have downloadable Linux binaries.

-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

>>> Dow_Hurst <dhurst at mindspring.com> 10/07/06 12:18 AM >>>
Since I've worked with high end graphics doing molecular modelling, I have to weigh in on this!  Just can't resist...

To have a great Linux gaming box is pretty simple.  Just require a Nvidia FX or Quadro based graphics card.  The better the card the faster the rendering with the native nvidia driver.  I've been beta testing the new 9xxx driver for Linux and have found that several minor but long standing bugs are now solved.  There are a some screen artifacts and a memory limit problem that Nvidia is working on.  However, the stable 8xxx series are still great for typical games built for Linux.  I wouldn't worry about Windows based games since that isn't what your providing the system for.  If they want that then they should buy Windows and let you do a dual boot system.  No virtual machine yet supports accelerated graphics so that is out for games.

Make note that the Nvidia graphics cards in Linux are fully supported, stable, and have great capabilities.  Don't consider ATI as they haven't taken Linux seriously so haven't provided a decent stable driver yet.  It is coming because it has to, but give it a couple of years.

Stick with Intel wifi but watch out for the very latest chipsets.  You'll have to purchase and test to guarantee a system will work.  You might want to research what Linux hardware vendors are selling such as Emperor Linux, or Rcubed, or Dell.  Intel seems to have realized the importance of Linux support so their hardware will be supported within a reasonable amount of time.  I've never had a problem with a Dell Precision Workstation loaded with Redhat.  I can always get Suse loaded up just fine on one of those and have full hardware support.  The Centrino platform is well supported for Linux in laptops.  Dell has Latitudes and Inspirons as well as Precision notebooks with nvidia graphics.

If your into providing a very state of the art machine and want nvidia then www.dynamism.com was offering Panasonic models with nvidia chips.  They had 6 hour battery life yet were 4lbs or less.

When I look at a low, middle, and high end system I always base it on nvidia graphics.  A FX5200 runs our modelling software as well as a Quadro FX3450 even though the price is hundreds of dollars different.

Last point for supporting nvidia over ATI or Intel graphics:  everyone loves GoogleEarth and the latest nvidia driver allows it to run on my laptop with the FX6400Go w/TurboCache chip.

One last thought on wifi:  the latest 2.6.18rc5 kernel has a broadcom wifi driver for the 43xx versions such as were in Dell Inspiron 8500 laptops.  The Truemobile 1300 is supported.  I got a laptop running with that config.  If anyone needs a howto I could post that.
Dow