[ale] large file downloads & Comcast

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Fri Oct 6 22:05:19 EDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 03:14:19PM -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 14:05 -0400, Bob Toxen wrote:
> > That's Comcast!  I have the same problem.  It is not your equipment.
> > It's why I'm switching.

> Check the temp of the cable modem. I have a friend with similar issue.
> Things work OK for short bursts but the box get HOT with long accesses.
> He had a 'fridge close by so we plopped it in and it ran DVD downloads
> all night with no more errors.
The cable modem temperature is fine.  It also happened with two
different cable modems.  It does not matter what site it is.  Further,
access to all other sites fails at the same time and the modem makes
"the network is bleeped sound".  It is more likely to happen during
"busy" times when many people are accessing the network.  It's not my
hardware.

Bob