[ale] reset the serial link on kermit on RHL 9

Jerry Yu jjj863 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 13:20:43 EDT 2006

We have a serial link to a Catalyst 2900XL from a built-in serial port
(ttyS1) on a Dell PE2450 running RHL9. I used kermit to configue the switch
successfully in the past ( 5 months ago, I believe). Now I saw no response
from a kermit session, though input wasn't rejected either. The kermit
session behaves like the serial link is active: open/close port commands
succeeded promptly and no 'sense-carrier off' prompt either.
The switch itself hums along just fine and is our production switch at a
co-lo.  Any way I can somehow 'clear' or 'reset the serial connection', w/o
risking upsetting the switch itself?