[ale] This mailing list

Chris Farris chris at vitalpowers.com
Thu Oct 5 08:09:48 EDT 2006

I've been keeping an eye on the goings on regarding changing the mailing
list. Its interesting. I agree on the need for a better to signal to
noise ratio. I also agree that moderation is tricky if moderators don't
stay on top of things. I lean towards self moderation with warnings and
"time-outs" for people that violate the agreed upon rules. "time-outs"
would be moderating posts from that specific user for some period of time.

I've also gotten several offers, requests, and possibly a demand that I
turn over maintenance of ale.org to others. I have no problem turning
over ale.org. I do have a problem turning ale.org over to a specific
faction in this debate, and I do have a problem turning ale.org if it
will not be maintained.

ALE is not the only mailing list I run on my server and I _do_ have an
interest in keeping all my lists operating smoothly. The root cause of
the issues a few months back have been identified and resolved. I
haven't seen or heard of any issues since then and I consider that
service degradation and outage to be over.

There are quite a few people on this list, many who have been around
since the beginning, who have contributed to the Linux Community in
Atlanta, who moderate the three meetings, that I consider authoritative
regarding the future of ALE. Those are the people who I will listen to
if they tell me "give up the list".

I have not made any decision regarding new mailing lists, moderation
policies or the like. My hope is that a consensus will be reached. As
yet there has not been one (other than possibly reviving ale-announce).

Finally and as I've said before, the website is a wordpress blog. I
populated it with some basic content, but my hope was for one or more
people to finish that job (notice how the only two distros linked are
the ones I use?) and I really wanted people to contribute original
content and such to the front page. All I need are volunteers.

Chris

--
Chris Farris				chris at vitalpowers dot com
The Exercise of Vital Powers		404 806 1403