[ale] potential new home for ALE website, philosophy, and a proposal

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Oct 4 12:04:46 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 11:44 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 09:45 -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > I don't have mailman installed yet (like that's hard...).
>
> I hope you're kidding when you say that. ;-)

Only slightly :)

> A few things to keep in mind:
>
> The MTA is harder to setup, properly that is.  A noutbound queue needs
> to be established so that Mailman doesn't get blocked while trying to
> send 1000+ emails.  On the inbound side, I would recommend postfix as it
> integrates well with Mailman via alias and virtual lookup files (which
> are nice if you are adding/deleting lists a lot).

I currently have postfix as the MTA and the inbound filters through
MailScanner for anti-virus and anti-spam. This machine currently hosts
several other virtual domains (I love Linux tools!) with virtual email
domains.

I will need to look at bypassing the outgoing virus/spam tests for the
mailing lists as the mail will have already been filtered before it is
queued for outbound. That should save a ton of cpu time.

> You might want to apply the htdig integration and daily mbox patches
> listed here:
>    http://www.openinfo.co.uk/mm/index.html
> They make list mgmt/use much easier

I will look into the set up on those.

> Also, if you want to save some bandwidth and staunch the spread of email
> addresses, you can read this note about removing the .mbox/.txt files
> from public access (leaving only the .html files accessable):
>   http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.066.htp
>
> You may also want the password prompt on the admin login page to get the
> focus (so that you don't have to click it first)
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1447948&group_id=103&atid=300103
>

> Good luck,
I may be contacting you :)