[ale] System requirements for broadband?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 3 15:57:00 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 12:00 -0700, Luther wrote:
> Hello, my name is Luther. I've been to a two or three ALE meetings
> over the past couple of years. I've been using Linux since 2002, but
> I am just now trying to get internet access at home. I have a very
> newbie question, and I thought I should ask some local people (you
> guys) for help.
>
> I've had a look at the BellSouth and Comcast websites. When I look at
> their system requirements, they say I have to have either Windows or
> Macintosh and 100 MB of hard disk space. This perplexes me, because
> whenever I go to a friend's house and plug their modem into my
> laptop, I'm online instantly. I really don't want to have to deal
> with the hassle of installing Windows. Can anyone please explain why
> they have these system requirements? And what should I tell the
> DSL/cable people when I call them to ask for an installation?

Comcast only requires Windows and 100MB of space if you want their
installer to support setting you up.  Otherwise, all you have to do is
either lease a modem from Comcast or buy your own.  When the installer
arrives, he/she will need the MAC address of the NIC in your PC, and
they can call it in to their ops center to have it activated.  Trust me,
the Comcast techs would rather you do the setup on your PC (assuming you
are technically competent) than for them to have to touch your
keyboard.

Make sure you have a browser installed on your PC so that once the modem
is activated the tech can see that you can get out to the Internet.
Also, if you purchase your own modem, you can hook it up yourself and
try calling 404-Comcast, pressing 2 for high-speed-data, and ask the
tech to activate the modem for you (assuming you have high-speed-data on
your Comcast service).  I know that you can call Comcast and order extra
services (VoIP for instance) so calling and asking them to add
high-speed-data should also be able to be done over the phone (assuming
you have your own cable modem).

Good luck, you will love the speed of Comcast.

-Jim P.