[ale] LOPSA - League of Professional System Administrators.

Alex LeDonne aledonne.listmail at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 14:58:04 EDT 2006

On 10/3/06, Jeff Lightner <jlightner at water.com> wrote:
> IMHO It isn't that there is a Sysadmin list void.  It is that there is
> an enterprise Linux list void.  The issue seems to be the evolving
> nature of Linux.  For a long time it was not used for enterprise
> purposes (and even desktop use was typically limited in organizations to
> UNIX admins and other techno-geeks and outside organizations by
> hobbyists and those same techno-geeks.  Now it's starting to fill
> business niches in enterprises so more and more "professional" admins
> are using it in business.  They'd like to have a place to pose questions
> regarding their enterprise use yet not wade through the hobbyists/newbie
> posts.
[snip]
> What's worse is that even the hardware vendors such as Dell that say
> they "support Linux" don't really have good support for Linux.   It
> often leaves me with either spending lots of time figuring out a
> solution or abandoning the idea of obtaining one.

Well, in the case of Dell, at least they support a "Linux on Dell"
community. When I adminned RH on PowerEdge, I found the Dell
Linux-PowerEdge mailing list IMMENSELY valuable. (
http://lists.us.dell.com/mailman/listinfo ) I don't think I would even
try to use a PERC under linux without reading up on that list archive.

I suspect that enterprise linux questions are not best posed to a
geographically-oriented list (like [ale]), but to vendor- or distro-
oriented lists. Similarly, I personally wouldn't pose a mythtv
question to Linux-Precision, even if I was putting it together with a
Precision workstation.

-Alex