[ale] LOPSA - League of Professional System Administrators.

Alex LeDonne aledonne.listmail at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 14:42:09 EDT 2006

On 10/3/06, Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:
> Alex LeDonne wrote:
> > For professional sysadmins' consideration:
> >
> > I recently learned of the existence of LOPSA (http://lopsa.org/) - the
> > League of Professional System Administrators. It's apparently the
> > non-Usenix successor to SAGE. It's $50/yr to join, but I would hope
> > most businesses would cover that cost for their sysadmins.
>
> Would you define 'non-Usenix successor to SAGE?'  SAGE still exists,
> thus I don't think you can name a successor of any kind at this point.

http://lopsa.org/about_history

Basically, SAGE was dormant for a year or so (starting 2004-06) in
anticipation of eliminating it as a Usenix SIG and making it
independent. In Fall 2005, the separation negotiations broke down, and
Usenix decided not to split off SAGE. But the separate corporation
formed for the purpose in 2004-11 continued, observing that the
motivations for a split had not changed and, in SAGE's dormancy, had
in their view become more manifest. Hence, in 2005-11, LOPSA was born.

At LISA '05, "at an open board of the USENIX Board of Directors, a
straw poll of the attendees decided to eliminate the SAGE brand and
program as a separate entity, and concentrating on providing system
administrators' benefits in line with with USENIX's core mission."

LOPSA concludes that the future of SAGE is uncertain.

I retract "successor to SAGE" as incorrect. LOPSA is the successor to
what would have been an independent non-Usenix SAGE.

-Alex