[ale] EQUIPMENT DISPOSAL - OT

ale list ale at gurlhax0r.org
Wed Nov 29 12:02:23 EST 2006

cfowler wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 11:42 -0500, ale list wrote:
>> Latest Slack should work. (11.0)
>
> It should but the machine only has 64mb of memory.  There is a lot of
> cruft in later distributions.  Running a disiti with software desgined
> to play nicely with a machine with low memory will be a nice machine.
>
> My point being that the machine is slow and has little memory.  Why not
> run a disti that was created when those machines were in full force?
> Why run a disit that was created when everyone has 3.0Ghz machines with
> 1GB or RAM?  On an older disiti everything is smaller.  Glib, X,
> mozilla, gcc, etc.  You just probably can't compile the latest software.
>
> But it is better than DOS.

 From the Slackware.com website:

Slackware Linux doesn't require an extremely powerful system to run
(though having one is quite nice :). It will run on systems as far back
as the 486. Below is a list of minimum system requirements needed to
install and run Slackware.

     * 486 processor
     * 16MB RAM (32MB suggested)
     * 100-500 megabytes of hard disk space for a minimal and around
3.5GB for full install
     * 3.5" floppy drive

Additional hardware may be needed if you want to run the X Window System
at a usable speed or if you want network capabilities.

--
Tina