[ale] Apache/CGI

cfowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Nov 28 15:48:11 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 15:37 -0500, Ken Alexander wrote:
> Hi Chris. I responded to your message regarding CGI echo server. I am
> not clear on what you are trying to accomplish. Can you explain how the
> 'echo server' should work? I may be able to help.

It is a test to see if I can accomplish true bidirectional
communications via a CGI.  Bidirectional just like ssh or telnet.
I'm my exaple program it simply read what came in from STDIN and wrote
that to STDOUT.  If that program will pass and apache will allow that
program to work in that manner then I can work on the big project
of rewritting my proxy server for our application to be a simple CGI.

So the java client applet will simply connect to port 80 or 443 (SSL) of
apache and send "GET /whatever/proxy" and then it can jump into
its VT100 emulation code and the proxy can relay packets between our
remote device and the applet.

All echo does is just prove that the concept is viable _with_ apache.
Today I know it will work with thttpd and GoAhead.  I just use Apache on
our server and I need Apache to allow this to work in the manner I need
it to work.

I guess to sum it up I'm trying to use the initial HTTP transactioanl
like communications to setup and start a bidirectional session with a
CGI and a client.  In effect I kinda want Apache to work like inetd.