[ale] Probably off topic

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 27 10:16:36 EST 2006

Robert L. Harris wrote:

> I'm looking at plugging the DVI interface on the back of my computer
> (Linux/win) and run it to a TV I just bought (love black friday sales).  At
> any rate, the TV is a JVC with the DVI and the HDMI interface on the
> back.  Can I plug the DVI cable into my Computer and play videos in full
> screen on my TV through either the HDMI or DVI inputs?
>
> Anyone actually done this yet?  If so it's likely the first step to
> going with a MythTV...
>
> Robert
>
> :wq!
> Robert L. Harris                     | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
>                                          @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
> DISCLAIMER:
>       These are MY OPINIONS             With Dreams To Be A King,
>        ALONE.  I speak for              First One Should Be A Man
>        no-one else.                       - Manowar

I have Mythtv running on a big screen TV, but I had to play with the
resolution and so forth to get it to fill out the screen without over
scanning.  Most TV sources tend to have a lot of noise along the bottom
and sides of the picture.  TV's over-scan to put that stuff off the
visible screen.  Using the computer as a source the TV over-scans it and
  you'll have tool-bars clipped and the desktop sides trimmed.  Worst it
might under scan it and the desktop doesn't fill the entire screen, it's
surrounded by black bars.  In the latter you'll see the entire desktop,
but who wants there desktop surrounded by bars.  There are many
hacks/work arounds for many TV models to allow you to use the TV as a
monitor.  They will employ tools like power-strip to create custom
resolutions to make you TV look just right.  The first place to look
would be avs-forum.com.

Calvin