[ale] Mail server config recommendations

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Wed Nov 22 08:52:41 EST 2006

NOTE: I apologize if this is double-posted but for whatever reason I
didn't see it post to the list so I'm sending it again in case it got lost.

Hi all,

I have been running my own mail server for a couple years and basically,
I hacked it until it worked without really understanding much of what I
was doing. I have Spamassassin filtering my incoming mail, and I've got
sendmail working for sending and receiving mail. Lately a lot of SPAM
has been getting through the SA filter, even after wiping the spam
database and re-learning the spam from about 1500 recent spam emails.

What I'm looking for is recommendations (links, how-to guides, books are
also appreciated) on:

1) reducing incoming SPAM through better tuning/use of SpamAssassin or
another filtering system (not interested in blacklisting/RBLs or
greylisting). I'm ok with using the Thunderbird spam filter here at home
but that doesn't work on a mobile phone client, or when I use webmail or
other clients, so I need something server-side.

2) Configuring sendmail (currently running 8.12.11) securely

3) Alternatives to sendmail, if recommended and any guides to
configuration for the below (Postfix, perhaps?)

4) SMTP with some form of encrypted authentication (don't really know
what the differences are between TLS or SSL or any other options) for users

5) Configuring POP and IMAP to use encrypted authentication so that my
passwords aren't being sent in the clear (again, not sure what options
are available there).

I realize this covers a lot of ground, but as I said, I'm just
interested in tips and tricks, and of course recommendations based on
your collective experience. I'm more than willing to do my homework and
read suggested articles or books as well, so even if all you have to
share is a useful tutorial url or a ISBN number, fire away!

Thanks,

-Jay