[ale] how about XMMS2? [was: playlists not available in RealPlayer?]

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Mon Nov 20 20:52:11 EST 2006

Actually, since amarok itself doesn't do any of the sound decoding, then
that's a problem with the sound subsystem on your installation. It's
likely either that the decoding engine being used by Amarok (it's
configurable in the options, I believe the default is GStreamer) is
garbling the sound, or the sound card drivers aren't happy. Since you're
having no trouble playing sound in XMMS, I'd guess that it's the
particular decoding engine you're using.

Try installing the extra engines for amarok (amarok-engines is the
package name on ubuntu derivatives if memory serves), and see if you
have better luck with one of the other available options. I always had
the best luck with the xine engine, personally.

As far as KDE instability in general, the only KDE app I've ever had
flaky problems with is kmail. In that case, it's a known bug that crops
up  only for IMAP users, it's been open for quite a long time in the KDE
bugzilla listings, and I think it's even one of the top ten KDE "please
fix" poll results ;) Other than that not-so-stellar experience, I've
been really pleased with KDE in general and not really experienced
random instability or issues that have prevented me from using it -
until this year I was using a KDE desktop for multiple machines at work
and at home quite happil