[ale] PCI card

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 17 09:42:15 EST 2006

Atlanta Geek wrote:
> Hi,
> We have a PCI card that contains a chip that I need to become very
> familar with.  (So we can write a driver for the PCI card on a non
> Linux and Non Windows platform).
>
> What I am wonder is is there some sort of generic Linux/PCI utility
> that I can use to write into the memory space of the pci card.  I've
> seen stuff that allows me to write to the pci cards registers but not
> the memory.
>  Linux 2.4 or Linux 2.6 is an option.
>
> If anyone knows of a utility to do this or is familar with how phob_io
> can be used to do this please let me know.

I'm no device driver writer, but isn't the PCI memory spaces mapped into
the regular memory address space of the CPU some where above where
physical ram ends?  If I remember correctly there are 3 memory spaces:

PCI I/O
PCI Memory
PCI Configuration

The first 2 are used by drivers the last is used by the BIOS or OS to
setup the cards to operate in the system, like setting where the other
two memory spaces will be mapped, what interrupts it can use etc.  It's
been a long time, so take it with a kilogram of salt.