[ale] Semi-OT: Baby steps with SSL and GoAhead webserver

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Thu Nov 16 15:07:04 EST 2006

ALErs -

I'm setting up the GoAhead web server ([http://www.goahead.com]) as a test
(This is only a test!) on my SuSE-10.1 Linux box, and want to use the
installed 'openssl' for incoming 'https' connections. I had very few
problems building the package and running it without SSL enabled, and
similarly an easy time building the server with 'openssl' enabled.

When I run the enabled version I still get the proper 'http' behavior, but
I cannot connect for 'https' traffic. 'netstat -l' shows one port
listening for 'web-http' connections, but nothing waiting for 'web-https'.

I placed a 'server.pem' (one that works on other servers) in the same
directory as the server executable, and opened the firewall for HTTPS
service.

I placed a diagnostic print at the point where 'websSSLOpen()' would have
been called, and I see the print output, so I think I'm calling the
socket startup.

Diagnostic and installation suggestions welcome!

TIA.
 - Mills