[ale] Donated computers

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Nov 16 09:29:10 EST 2006

My kids' daycare was donated about 8+ computers.  Apparently my wife
volunteered me to take a look.  Today I looked.  It appears all of these
machines are Dell Dimension XPS D333 computers.  The have all the normal
features but are PII-333 adn 128m of memory.  Where it counts they seem
to be lacking.  IMO these computers would make nice boat anchors since
they are heavy and can grab mud easily.

My thought is that these computers feel like circa 1998 machines.  I
could treat them as such.  They could load Win98 on them and then find
educational software from around that time that is compatible and run
that.  As long as the machine is good they will be in good shape.

I wanted to try the educational version of Ubuntu but that would just
require too much memory and CPU.  Even trying to find and get memory for
these systems would be a pain.

I wish that when people would donate computers they would at least try
to donate something they would find worthy for them self.  Don't donate
the stuff you consider trash.  I know there is a parable that talks
about this.....