[ale] OT: longest time to find a bug?

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Wed Nov 15 20:41:25 EST 2006

Sid Lane wrote:

> hey,
>
> I had a coworker yesterday identify a bug in a class file I tweaked (not
> the
> original author) back in March.  it's an obscure, barely used part of our
> site (many of you know which) that's seasonal and couldn't be fully tested
> back then anyway so I'm not losing any sleep over it (that plus it
> wasn't my
> job to do in the 1st place - was helping developers out at the time).
>
> anyway, I'm pretty sure at 238 days I now hold the record here for longest
> elapsed time from launch to bug identifed.
>
> can anyone beat that?  :-P

I've found bugs in code that's been deployed for over ten years.
Occasionally someone notices. Often I find comments nearby (which
I wrote), to the effect of, "There's no way this will do what the
client wants, but since we have no idea what the client wants,
this'll have to do for now."

I ain't proud, I'm just sayin'...

-- JK