[ale] Dual boot setup

Gonzalo Seoane gonzas at gonzas.net
Sun Nov 12 22:30:53 EST 2006

maby you want to run a virtual machine ,.. for windows :P ,... you can do
this with vmware ,...
windows over write the media boot record , ( mbr ) and then you will not be
able to boot linux ,.. or maby you can install windows ,... run a live cd
linux and reinstall grub  ( grub-install ) mounting your HD on /boot/grub
and make the reinstall ,.... its only a solution but i dont know if this
works good
2006/11/13, Mark Wright <mpwright at speedfactory.net>:

> Hi Jim
>
> I have never been able to get windows to boot without installing it
> first.  The windows installer will over write your mbr and mess up
> your linux install.  Never figured out how to stop it.   I just
> started doing without windows.
>
> Back in the day, I used to do a clean install of 2K using windows
> installer to set aside a big partition for Linux.
>
> Mark
>

> On Nov 12, 2006, at 8:54 PM, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>
> > I've got a laptop with linux on 100% of the harddrive.  What I want to
> > do is add a small Win2K install (dual boot, grub) for testing.  Does
> > win2k need to be in the first partition?   Any other advice?
> >
> > -Jim P.

Gonza
www.gonzas.net
gonzas at gonzas.net