[ale] Dual-headed displays and X.org...

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 17:43:49 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 17:19 -0500, Bj?rn Gustafsson wrote:

> X11 is a complicated and crufty thing.  Still, it is workable, at
> least in theory; I'm using dual-head displays on my Dapper box at
> work.
>
> Below is a section from my xorg.conf that might be of use with respect
> to combining the two displays into one.  You need to define two
> screens, Screen1 and Screen0, in order to allow this layout.
>
> As to the OpenGL problem, that's a bit tricker.  I assume you don't
> get crashes in a single-head configuration, right?  Have you tried
> using it with the display solely on the external monitor?  It may be
> something to do with that video port, or it could be a VRAM memory
> problem I suppose.  Don't know what I'd do about either of those
> problems.
>

> Section "ServerLayout"
>         Identifier     "Xinerama Layout 1 RightOf 0"
>         Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>         Screen         "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
>         InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
>         InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
>         Option         "Xinerama"
> EndSection

This is so confusing.  X needs to be replaced, in all honesty, but that
will not likely *ever* happen.

I have a section like that in mine, but it doesn't work.

3D works in single-head, regardless of which monitor is the single head.
Video RAM is system memory, and the driver can change the amount of
Video RAM available.  I have tried everything up to 128 MB, with zero
success.

I finally found something that I thought might have turned out to be
helpful, but it seems that the person isn't getting help.  It is so far,
the ONLY situation which seems to match my experience entirely:

http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.bugs.dist/msg/7a4cd64ebe5dc7c6

It seems that it might be a bug of some sort.  At least that is good, in
that it's a bug and not my own foolishness or something similar.
Nonetheless, it is a rather stupid bug to have in the system, if you ask
me.  :-/

    -- Mike