[ale] Internet connectivity question

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 12:33:36 EST 2006

Jerry,

Good idea about the reverse DNS issue.  I had totally forgotten about
that and I should know enough not to do that.  ie. I've hit that
problem many times before.

I just verified that cbeyond does not have a default reverse DNS setup
for my static IPs.  Hopefully they have a way for me to create those.

Greg

On 11/4/06, Jerry Yu <jjj863 at gmail.com> wrote:
> greg,
> Is the box, with which you tested, NATed?  Either way, if the remote can't
> reverse lookup your IP, they could be some DNS delays there.
>

> On 11/3/06, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 17:50 -0600, Jack Schneider wrote:
> > > >
> > > Just a test.
> > > time telnet mail.dmares.com 25
> > > Trying 209.150.157.211...
> > > Connected to mail.dmares.com.
> > > Escape character is '^]'.
> > > 220 plus42.host4u.net ESMTP Fri, 3 Nov 2006 17:35:38 -0600
> > > Connection closed by foreign host.
> > >
> > > real    7m50.918s
> > > user    0m0.020s
> > > sys     0m0.004s
> > >
> > > After a 90,000 mile trip..
> > > tn -->Satellite --> NY-->ALE+
> > >
> > > 8-)
> > >
> > > Jack
> >
> > I'm not sure if you are being facetious about the timing or humorous
> > about the distance, however the OP showed their timing using a
> > "quit" (presumably manually entered immediately after the successful
> > connect).
> >
> > -Jim P.

Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group