[ale] Laptops and Linux

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Fri Nov 3 11:02:13 EST 2006

With those hardware specs, you shouldn't be having that kind of an issue.
With the exception of RAM, it's way overkill for running three little apps.
And really, unless you're running several VMs, 512MB ought to be plenty.

There's got to be something else going on.

As far as specs go.  I tried a couple of turion notebooks recently, and I had problems with the disk drivers after the install wen doing the initial boot into the 64-bit load.  The install worked to that point, I believe, because it uses 32-bit code.

This was on a Compaq and two different HP models (their super media models, I don't remember the no.s)

The core 2 duo on my Sony Vaio and a clients Dell is very quick.

-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "Robert L. Harris" <Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net> 11/03/06 10:35 AM >>>

  I'm looking to get another laptop.  Right now I'm on a Lenovo (IBM) 3000
N100.  Core 2 Duo, 512Meg Ram, 1.66Ghz and it's killing me.  Open Firefox,
Amarok and an OpenOffice Spreadsheet and I can grind it to a halt for 10
minutes.

  I don't want to spend 2k, but any off the top of your head
suggestions?  Any opinions of an AMD Turion vs P4?  Duo or no, etc?
Yes, it will need to run Linux, Debian or Ubuntu.

Robert

:wq!
                                         @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:
       ALONE.  I speak for              First One Should Be A Man
       no-one else.                       - Manowar