[ale] Installing mplayer on Xubuntu

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Nov 2 09:40:47 EST 2006

I'm following the instructions for installing mplayer from the xubuntu
site.

Here is what i got

root at cfowler-laptop:~# sudo apt-get install mplayer
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  esound-common libartsc0 libdirectfb-0.9-24 libdv4 libdvdread3 libesd-
alsa0 libfaac0 libggi2 libgii1 libgii1-target-x
  liblame0 libmp4v2-0 libmpcdec3 libsdl1.2debian libsdl1.2debian-alsa
libsmbclient libungif4g libxvidcore4 mplayer-skins
Suggested packages:
  libdvdcss2 esound libggi-target-emu libggi-target-monotext libggimisc2
w32codecs libdvdcss mplayer-doc
Recommended packages:
  libdv-bin esound-clients libggi-target-x libggi-target
  esound-common libartsc0 libdirectfb-0.9-24 libdv4 libdvdread3 libesd-
alsa0 libfaac0 libggi2 libgii1 libgii1-target-x
  liblame0 libmp4v2-0 libmpcdec3 libsdl1.2debian libsdl1.2debian-alsa
libsmbclient libungif4g libxvidcore4 mplayer
  mplayer-skins

Looks good mplayer there.  I assume I need w32codecs.  It is suggested
but not installed.  How do I install it?

root at cfowler-laptop:~# apt-get install  w32codecs
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package w32codecs is not available, but is referred to by another
package.
is only available from another source
E: Package w32codecs has no installation candidate