[ale] Bad capacitors in computer motherboards

Randal Jarrett rsj at radio.org
Wed Nov 1 13:46:24 EST 2006

Bad caps can cause all kinds of erratic behaviors according to what part
of the motherboard that they are in.  The physical signs are usually
swelling, leaking and sometimes heating. If they go bad in the power
filtering section, (usually around the power connector and regulator
transistors that are soldered down on the mb) they cause erratic
fluctuations on the voltages which will cause ICs to behave erratic.

In other words, all kinds of nasty and unusual problems.