[ale] OT: cool gadget

Jim Philips briarpatchkid at bellsouth.net
Sat May 27 18:37:57 EDT 2006

On Saturday 27 May 2006 11:31, Byron A Jeff wrote:
> The bottom line is that the average driver needs an ODB II scanner just
> about as much as they need a tie rod puller. Both can be loaned from the
> local auto parts store for free, so why bother buying one?

Well, opinions are cheap and you're entitled to yours. I'm sure Actron is
making good business out of selling its tool to the "average driver" despite
what you think. The fact is, the "check engine" light can be anything from a
trivial warning to a warning of serious problems. The light in itself gives
you no way to tell the difference. I would rather know before I take the car
to a mechanic. The AutoZone thing is nice. I didn't know about that. But it's
a whole lot easier to plug in at home and look up what's going on. And I will
always check things out before I go to get my car inspected now.