[ale] OT: Do Not Call list

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu May 25 10:44:26 EDT 2006

Geoffrey wrote:

>Jim wrote:
>

>>The companies swear the numbers will never be accessible to
>>telemarketers. In fact, per FCC regulations, telemarketers are already
>>prohibited from calling cell phone numbers using automated dialers,
>>which are standard in the industry.
>>

>And do we believe them?  I sure don't.

I'm wondering if the "quick, go register with the do not call list RIGHT
NOW!!!***!!!"
hoax is really a roundabout way of *gaining* access to cell numbers.

Reasoning:

The do-not-call website states that DNC registrations stay in effect for
five years; but what
happens to them then?  Will the DNC registry publish a list of numbers
that *expired* from
the registry without renewal? If so, then anyone who responds to the
hoax (as I admit
I did) is giving the telemarketers their cell number, five years from
now, unless they
remember to renew with the DNC registry.  And since we all know that the
hoax was a
hoax, why would we bother to re-register? QED

-- JK