[ale] Ubuntu

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Thu May 25 00:48:05 EDT 2006

On Thu, May 25 2006 00:27, KingBahamut wrote:

> Im going to run my Edubuntu install as KDE on its default. Just for sates
> sake.
>
> KDE is certainly more featureful in my opinion , but for a converted
> user, it can be a little much.

I can't say that I agree with that really.  There are certain things that
KDE does that just make sense, coming from the Windows world.  One of the
reasons that I switched to KDE is that after working at IBM for awhile
(this was before they started to allow Linux openly in their organizations)
I was using Windows XP.  There are some software tools that I found under
Windows that work quite nicely.

For example, Windows has Tortoise SVN, which is a graphical Subversion
client.  And KDE has something that integrates into the KDE shell in a
similar fashion to Tortoise.  Of course, this is nice.  I have yet to see
such a thing for GNOME, though.  There are other applications that work
like this, and things that I've found in KDE 3.5 are absolutely awesome in
terms of what they've done to make things absolutely accessible to the
user.  They incorporate a lot of ideas that come from the world of Windows,
and do them even better.

And, of course, one of the reasons that people coming from Windows use it,
in my experience, anyway, is that they like the way that it looks and feels
similar to systems that they know.  And of course, it can be morphed to
look like anything else.  If I were going to be showing this system off to
somebody that was using BeOS for a great long time, then I'd retheme the
system to appear similar to BeOS.  Of course, it doesn't morph the entire
system, but it helps the user to be more open to the idea of using the
software.  :-)  Advocacy at its best (something you won't find at COLA, no
doubt!).

	- Mike